HPV 9 Vaccine Provides Wider Protection
Human papillomavirus (HPV) causes genital warts and is common in both men and women. Some HPV types cause cervical, vaginal, vulvar, and anal cancers. The majority of abnormal pap tests in women are caused by HPV.
Did you know…
- 75% of people will have at least one HPV infection during their lifetime.
- 67% of people who have sexual contact with someone who has genital warts will also get them, usually within 3 months.
- People who have HPV may not show any signs or symptoms.
- Even if someone is already sexually active, they may still be at risk for some of the HPV types they haven’t been exposed to so it is not too late to get the vaccine.
- HPV has also been linked to some head and neck cancers.
There are 2 vaccines that protect against certain strains of HPV:
- Gardasil-4: strains 6, 11, 16, 18
- Given free to all girls born in 1994 and later.
- Some men and women who do not qualify for free vaccine have paid to receive Gardasil-4.
- Gardasil-9: strains 6, 11, 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52, 58
- There are 5 additional types of HPV that this new vaccine protects against.
|Cervical cancer cases||70%||90%|
|High-grade cervical lesions||50%||75-85%|
|Low-grade cervical lesions||30-35%||50-60%|
|HPV-related vulvar cancer cases||70-75%||85-90%|
|HPV-related vaginal cancer cases||65%||80-85%|
|HPV-related anal cancers||85-90%||90-95%|
|Genital wart cases||90%||90%|
What to do:
- If you have not received HPV vaccine yet, you are better to get the HPV-9 vaccine. It is given as 3 doses at 0, 2 months, 6 months and it is $180 per dose.
- If you have received any number of doses of Gardasil-4 vaccine but now want the greater protection offered by Gardasil-9 you can start Gardasil-9 now but you need 3 doses at 0, 2 months, 6 months at $180 per dose. Some experts feel that one dose of Gardasil-9 will offer significant protection of the extra 5 strains after 2 or 3 doses of the Gardasil-4 (i.e., receive Gardasil-9 as the final dose in the Gardasil-4 series).
- If you have already received Gardasil-4 and you do not want to pay for another 3 doses of Gardasil-9, Gardasil-4 offers excellent protection against genital warts and cancers caused by HPV. It’s also possible get one dose of Gardasil-9 after the completion of Gardasil-4, which experts feel will offer significant protection.
Contact us at 604-736-9244 (before 5pm daily) if you are interested or have questions about the HPV vaccine(s).
If you are travelling, call us to book your appointment. We are fully staffed to get your assessment, prescriptions, and vaccinations covered all in one visit.