Some Interesting Travel Medicine Facts
Did you know……….
- That there is no vaccine (yet) against malaria, you need to take pills to prevent malaria.
- Yellow fever vaccine is required to enter certain countries in Africa and South America.(The VCH Travel Clinic is a Yellow Fever designated centre — family physicians do not provide this vaccine as well as most other travel vaccines)
- There is a medication you can take to prevent altitude illness. Many travelers go to high altitude locations such as Cuzco, Peru; La Paz, Bolivia; Kilimanjaro, Tanzania and Nepal.
- Meningococcal meningitis vaccine is required to enter Saudi Arabia.
- Many countries in Europe and the former U.S.S.R. are reporting outbreaks of measles and mumps. People born after 1970 should have 2 doses of this vaccine.
We provide travel-specific vaccinations, malaria counseling, prescriptions and travel health advice.