Student Practice Education
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is committed to supporting healthy lives in healthy communities with our partners through care, education and research.
Welcome students and faculty!
We are proud to host students for their practicum placements and collaborate with educational institutions, faculty, and instructors to ensure students have opportunities to consolidate their learning, and we welcome students' energy, perspective and commitment to learning.
Find information on our placement process, pre-placement requirements and other resources related to student practice at VCH.
Mandatory orientation and pre-requisites
- Student practice education core orientation (SPECO)
- Discipline-specific requirements
- Network and systems access
- Criminal Record Check (CRC)
- Photo ID, access cards, and professional image
- Parking, transit & cycling information for students
- Zoom accounts for students
- Room bookings for student practice
Additional resources and services
Mask requirements reinstated in health care facilities
September 29, 2023
Starting October 3, 2023, all health care workers, volunteers, contractors and visitors in patient areas will be required to wear a mask. The order requiring anyone working in the health care sector, including students, to be immunized against COVID-19 remains in place.
PCIS access and training update
October 28, 2022
PCIS Access and Training is no longer required in the areas using CST Cerner as of November 5, 2022. For more information, please refer to VCH CST Split Activation: What you need to know.
See the updated information on these pages:
- PCIS - Vancouver Acute/Richmond (oneVCH – VCH network access is required)
- PCIS training - VA/Richmond (oneVCH – VCH network access is required)
- Training course calendar (oneVCH – VCH network access is required)
Access to the GE CareCast patient care information system (PCIS)
December 24, 2021
Effective January 1, 2022, students at VCH sites will no longer have access to the GE CareCast patient care information system (PCIS). The only exceptions will be Medical Students, Residents and Nurse Practitioner students. Nursing Instructors will continue to get PCIS access, if required, and all students who currently have PCIS access will continue to have access for the duration of their program. For the most up-to-date training requirements, please refer to the discipline-specific requirements section.